Monday 21 January 2013

Enjoy life while you can and seize the moment


 

When I was diagnosed, it felt like the end of the world, and I suppose in some respects it was. Because,  it was the end of my working life as an engineer, and the start of a new life living with dementia.

However no one had ever told me that it was possible to live well with dementia and enjoy life in any way possible.

Since my diagnosis I have lost the ability to do many of my hobbies, but I have started doing one or two other things, so in many ways I have not lost anything.

I do think we should strive to do as much as we can while we can, because life is too short.  I was brought up to think that anything was possible, and you should never say that you can not do anything, because if you set your mind to it you can achieve many things.

But my consultant told me to stop trying to do things that were slipping out of my grasp, because if you keep trying to do things that are getting more and more difficult through the dementia, you will only get very upset distressed or perhaps depressed and that would do nothing for me.

So since that time I have agreed to carry on doing what I can, and if things get difficult that I stop doing it, and try something different.

I spend time doing things like writing my life story, which can be very interesting when I remember the right bits.

So we should all try to remain independent while we can and enjoy life living well with dementia

1 comment:

  1. Asking questions are in fact fastidious
    thing if you are not understanding something entirely, but
    this piece of writing provides pleasant understanding yet.


    My page chwilowka

    ReplyDelete

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...