Wednesday 16 October 2013

Good day at Northumbria University

I had another extremely good day, and spent time talking about living well with lewy body dementia, to Student Nurses at Northumbria University.



This is a University where they are aiming to become one of, if not the best Dementia Friendly Nurse Training establishments in the UK.



They have very high standards of dementia training, and it's this that makes me very proud of being involved with them.



I have been there to speak to Nurses on many occasions, and sometimes this has been done in the nurses own free time which to my proves a big point, and that is they really do want to learn more about the illness first hand.



By doing this I am hoping that all future Nurses, learn how to treat people with dementia, with the care, respect and dignity that they themselves would expect from others.



I know that it is tiring doing this at times, but if this works, then I feel I am doing something to be help those who with this illness in the future.




It also gives me a real buzz when the nurses come here to my blog,and leave comments, about how they enjoyed listening to the person with dementia speaking.


Yes I may get tired at times, but I feel a real sense of achievement and this gives me a good reason to carry on fighting this illness. I am also so very proud to help Northumbria University and the student Nurses while I am still able to do it  

1 comment:

  1. You spoke to my group at uni today and I learnt a huge amount so thankyou so much for that! My next placement looks after a lot of people with dementia and you certainly gave me lots of food for thought and I am certain I am now better able to care for people with dementia than I was before your talk today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...