Thursday 26 June 2014

Achieving something positive in dementia

After the diagnosis of one of other form of dementia, many simply give up the will to fight, some refuse to accept the illness, while some get on with a new life.

Yes it's very difficult to accept something like dementia, but if you are diagnosed early enough and are given the right support and help, you can learn to move on and enjoy life for a little bit longer.

Of course it all depends on getting the right help and support, and being encouraged to do many things.

When I was diagnosed my wife and daughter, would not let me dwell on the illness, and it was encouraged to keep active.

Once I realised that it was possible to live a new life with dementia, I never looked back as I started meeting new friends, and doing things that I would never have considered before, like standing up and speaking in public.

Not everyone can or indeed wants to speak in public, but on a good day it's amazing the response you can get.

I have been honoured to be a Dementia Ambassador, I have had civic awards for my work in dementia, have spoken to Government groups, and the list goes on.

I would Encourage those who have the illness to join a local group and meet new friends, do new things and try to really enjoy yourselves while you can.

The world is your oyster, but you must make the first move 

I am in no way trying to blow my own trumpet, but it have been amazed at my achievements over the last few years, and truly amazed at speaking in public, because the thought would have terrified me when I was working.

If by doing all of this I can help others with the illness, then I have achieved more than I really expected.


I have lost many hobbies since the illness kicked in, but I feel that if I can achieve something every day, then it makes me feel so much better.

Never try to look back at what was, but think of what can be if we try

Try to help yourself if you can, because by doing so you will also help and inspire others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...