Saturday 18 October 2014

So young but so knowledgeable

Last month I saw a orthopaedic surgeon about my knee and hip problems. 

He had a very strong foreign accent, was so rude and thought that I just wanted a hip replacement, which I did not. To be very honest I do not want any operations at all, just want help to get around my problems on a daily basis.
I had been told prior to this appointment that it was osteoarthritis in both joints, which was fine, but if wanted to know who to manage the pain and also see if I could get some physiotherapy which may help. I had seen a physio once, but he took no notice of my memory problems at all, and also refused my wife access so that she could help me to remember the exercises.
However as I was struggling with my balance, my consultant at the i hospital had arranged some physio exercises which I can do at home, all of which are written out on sheets of paper with diagrammes where needed. 
Yesterday I was refered back to our local hospital for another physiotherapy assessment, where I was staggered to see a young lady who looked so young to me, she did not look old enough to to the job.
Yet she took the time to understand my problems and was so helpful. She also knew about Lewy body dementia which was amazing. My wife had pointed out that she wondered if my problems were due to gait a problem in dementia and she said that each person with dementia was vastly different to the next.
She said the exercises I was doing were very helpful, but gave me a few more to strengthen my back.
This was a vast difference from the original consultant, who asked if I wanted a hip replacement, yet knew nothing at all about dementia.
On Monday I have an MRI scan where it is hoped to get the full damage to both joints, but it sounds as if it is osteoarthritis and muscle weakness, so I just have to get on with it. 

I long for the day when all NHS staff are trained in dementia and memory problems like this young lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...