Sunday 7 December 2014

Dementia Friendly Transport

We often hear of towns and villages becoming dementia friendly, these days and that is wonderful.

I know that many bus companies claim to have had their staff trained to support people with dementia, yet many are very rude when asked simple questions.
These people may have jobs to do, but why get stressed with us when we panic or get confused

One large bus company in the North East, paints their buses with different colours and sometimes have their routes painted on the sides of the buses, which is a good way of recognising, your bus from a distance. 
But there are days when these same buses are used in totally different areas and routes which causes confusion, so are they totally dementia friendly.

I think not because the operators simply do not understand the confusion they are causing.

But every time I travel to London the transport system fills me with complete fear. 

While I can just about cope with some of the buses, the underground is becoming a no go area. 

I cannot see how the underground is disabled friendly, let alone dementia friendly, as its full of idiots, who think only about themselves.

This underground seems to turn everyone into different people,  where everyone is in a hurry to get from A to B as fast as possible, whether running past others standing in the escalators, to occasionally jumping barriers, or pushing others out of the way.

In many ways it reminds me of a colony of ants all rushing in different directions, or as many have commented lately. We also see people pushing their way into a train before others can got off
This is all done regardless  of anyone else who may be around.

It seems as if common sense and manners have been totally done away with.
We are told to keep to the left, yet people coming the other direction, keep pushing you over.

Kings Cross underground has changed so much, that it's become a nightmare too, as the pedestrian tunnel is far too long, which now fills me with complete dread.

I think that this is because the walls are curved, and this causes problems with my balance, as I like to have a wall close by, when things get busy. The problem is that my feet catch the wall, but I need to reach out to touch the wall due to the curve, and this makes things feel unstable.  

Obviously the people at the top of these businesses, do not talk to those who have this illness, otherwise they would change things to suit us.

Perhaps the Mayor of London should take this on board as it would help all with dementia living in London


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...