Friday 7 April 2017

Dementia Cafe

This weekend we went to a Dementia Cafe in Barnard Castle and really enjoyed myself.

My wife had suggested that we go, as we were staying at our Holiday Static Caravan in Barnard Castle, and the memory Cafe was around a mile away.

I have been to many of these dementia Cafes, but always left feeling it was a waste of time, but this one was totally different.

I guess that it was different for a few reasons, but one reason was that everyone there  was so friendly, and ignored the fact that we were not really from the town. 

Most people we see around the town speak, and that's something I find unusual, these days.
But everyone we see going into, and out of the town centre treat us like locals, and either wave or speak as we pass.

This is what I call a very friendly town, and certainly a Dementia friendly town.

The town where  we live these days, has changed from the town I grew up in, and apart from neighbours, no one speaks.

But the interesting thing about Barnard Castle, is the fact that there are lots of things going on for both carers and people living with Dementia, and that's a wonderful sign these days.

While many areas of the country,  are suffering from savage cuts, this area seems to be bucking the trend, and have lots of services.

I do think that this is down to the local staff and volunteers, who seem to be more switched on.

However I really love being around Barnard Castle, seeing all of the wild life during the day, and hearing the owls in the trees outside our caravan every night.

I know that there are two owls most nights and it's so nice to hear, even if I am on my own, because it feels as if I am not alone.

I think they are Tawny and Barn owls, but I am not sure.

However Barnard Castle like our own town has become a rat run for cars and lorry's, and the County Council don't seem to be interested in doing anything.

I guess that by burying their heads, they thin that if they ignore it for long enough, it will all go away

However most of these councils who claim to be dementia friendly, simply bury their heads and don't consider the fact that people with dementia and other Neurological illnesses, struggle to judge traffic speeds and distances 

Many drivers going through town centres never consider these people either, and just think that they are, silly people who walk across a road without looking.

I am sure that more needs to be done to ensure that councils take this on board, rather than simply saying they are becoming dementia friendly   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...