Tuesday 10 April 2018

dementia and co-morbidities

Many people living with dementia also have other problems which make life unpredictable to say the least.
On top of memory and planning problems, I also have Bronchiectasis and Emphysema, Osteoarthritis of my Hip, Leg and possibly Spine, along with balance and walking problem's
This is much worse on uneven or sloping ground these days, and I have no idea how I am going to cope when I go on a train to my daughters in Farnborough in the future
I also have a stoop which makes me feel shorter than I was, but it's difficult to stand up straight these days.
Last year I enjoyed the freedom of walking around Barnard Castle where we have our static caravan, but now this is restricted because I now struggle to walk very far, without constant stops.
I now also understand that my walks through the woods in Barnard castle, many well be a thing of the past, because I would not dare to attempt this on my own any more
These days I wonder just what is going on because I seem to be dragging my feet at times, and my balance is getting much worse than it was before. Not so long ago I was told that I had drop foot on the right side, but these days after a short walk it seems to be getting harder to move my legs let alone pick both of my feet up.
I really enjoy walking, but these days the pleasure has gone out of it, and even going upstairs is like climbing a mountain at times.
Whatever this is, it has come on fast, recently, and is frightening at times, when you are out somewhere and find your legs and back don't want to go any further.
The other day we went to our static caravan in Barnard castle, and then walked down to the town centre, a journey I have down many times over the last few years, and even though I have osteoarthritis in my right hip I managed to get there and back when needed.
I always felt sore and tired afterwards, but this time I struggled to get anywhere near to half way back, and had to stop a quite a few times. We were going to get a bus so far up the hill, but sadly we missed it, so I said I was going to try walking back
I guess it was too cold and damp to stop until the next bus, and I know that if I had stopped I would not have moved for a while.
Even sitting down can be uncomfortable, now and I tend to lean forwards or to my side to get some relief for my back, which is fine at home or in the caravan, but it’s not much good on a bus, unless is a comfortable coach, like the ones used on holiday's.
I have no idea what is causing this, but until I hear from the hospital we may never get to the bottom of it, but I am certainly not a good patient, and find it hard to sit still for long because I get bored very easy these days.
My wife has planned a short holiday in Scotland with our church over the next Bank Holiday weekend, so this may help just to get away for a while. its a nice hotel and very comfortable coaches, so I am hopeful
However no matter what happens, I know in my own mind that I need to completely change my life style and how I do things, while trying to pace myself, rather than forcing myself to do too much.
Life can be unpredictable as we all know, but with medical issues like this, life becomes annoying at times.
I still live my photography and will try to focus on this, on my good days, in the hope that I can take my mind off the rest of my problems
On Friday we had a letter telling me that I have an appointment with a consultant on Tuesday "today", so with a bit of luck we my find out what has caused this problem to appear so fast. I know it may well take time to assess the problem, but at least it's a start.
I admit that I am both looking forward to this, but I just want it to be sorted out so I can decide the way forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always say that we may have this illness, but we are all so different.

This is my own daily problems, but I would gladly share anyone elses, if they send them in,

End of the blog

After giving it a lot of thought over the last few months, I have decided to finally stop writing this blog now This is for a few reasons, b...